Saturday 2 April 2011

Review of the Innocase Active Case for Bold 9650

The Innocase Active case for the BlackBerry Bold 9650 is now available; so I decided to take one for a a test run. The Innocase Active is a hybrid-style case that is designed for Bold 9650 users who find themselves on the move and may not have the opportunity to swap out cases regularly to suit their current conditions. By this I mean that the Active was designed to be an "jack of all trades" protective case that merges soft and hard-shell features and will provide the usability, functionality, and, of course, protective features that you need in most situations. I went with the Black version because I like to keep an unnoticeable style but the Active is also available in Burgundy, Blue, and Purple for a more flashy look.

The first thing I take note of in any premium line case such as the Innocase Active is how it looks coming out of the original packaging. I'm not referring to the physical characteristics of the case in and of itself, and I don't really care what the packaging itself looks like. I'm looking at just how complex the manufacturer has made it to figure out how to put the case on without consulting step-by-step installation instructions or doing an in-depth Google search. If I can't figure out how to install the case in the first few seconds of observing the case, then they've made it too complicated and will get bad marks immediately.

Luckily, Seidio has made the Innocase Active very easy to figure out. The case merely comes in two pieces without any fancy or needless dunnage in the package. I pulled out the silicone piece out of the case, slipped it on my Bold 9650, and then placed the hard, outer layer over top. Finished!

After installing, which took a matter of a few seconds, I glanced over over my 9650's ports, LED, camera, and speaker features to make sure that the Active lined up properly. All good. A perfect fit. One thing I did observe is that Seidio has left an opening on the back of the Innocase Active at the charging contacts on the back of my 9650 even though Seidio claims that the case is not compatible with their line of desktop charging cradles. The thickness of the case (around 2mm) would probably rule out compatibility with any other desktop charging pods as well. So why leave an opening in the case that is sure to collect lint and dust?

Anyway, the side and top buttons of the Bold 9650 are protected by the silicone layer which is exposed and are accessible by pushing through the silicone. This is not a new concept as many hybrid cases incorporate the same method but the silicone on the Active seems to be the perfect thickness because it takes very little effort to make contact with the buttons when pushing through. The same goes for the side buttons and Seidio has designed the tabs so that they don't stick out too much, helping to prevent accidental button pushes.

Likewise, the fit and exterior finish of the Innocase Active is quite impressive. Like all Seidio cases, the Active features the "soft touch" exterior finish that feels great in my hands and improves grip. It is interesting to note that even though the case is "grippy", it still glides in and out of my back pocket easily (likewise for purses I'm sure). The hard-shell/silicone combination provides a very snug fit around my Bold 9650 so I'm not worried about damage occurring under the case caused by shifting. My Bold 9650 lays better on my fingers as well which has made typing a bit easier.

As I mentioned above, the total thickness of the Active case after installing both pieces is about 2 mm. This makes for a very thin design and my Bold 9650 still has that "protected" feeling with the secure design of the Active. The bottom and top corners of the Active (the sections most likely to take the grunt of drops) are reinforced for greater protection. I was a little disappointed that the Innocase Active didn't include screen protection. If there is one thing I detest, it is a scratchy, lackluster looking display, so screen protection is an absolute must. Innocase Active users will have to get their screen protector separately though.

In summary, the Seidio Innocase Active for Bold 9650 is a very functional, comfortable, and sturdy case design and I think users will be very content while using it. I would also like to note that the Innocase Active for Bold 9650 fits the BlackBerry Tour 9630 as well since the Tour features the same dimensions and feature location as the 9650.

WesWare Online is dedicated to BlackBerry protection and style offering the top brands in BlackBerry protection from the best manufacturers, designers, and artists in the industry. BlackBerry protective cases and skins are all we do! For the latest styles in BlackBerry cases as well as the latest BlackBerry case reviews, click through to our website.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=William_Starkey

William Starkey - EzineArticles Expert Author

No comments:

Post a Comment